Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rad Radish





Radishes are rad.
At least I think so.  Slightly peppery, delicious with a schmear of butter and salt, and a super satisfying crunch.  So when I stumbled upon this pickled radish recipe (say that three times fast), I knew I had to try it.  It was so easy to make, and enabled almost (they have to sit for at least 2 hours) instant gratification.  They really were lovely--the color was amazing.  The only thing I was missing was bit more brightness in the flavor, so maybe I need to add a splash more vinegar next time.
No matter, my father-in-law exclaimed, "These are the best radishes I ever put in my mouth!"

Proof is in the pickle.














Quick Radish Pickles
(adapted from Gourmet Magazine via The Wednesday Chef)

1 bunch Radishes, about 8 or 9, quartered
6 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1-inch peeled piece of ginger, sliced into slivers

Place radishes in sieve and toss with a few tablespoon's of salt.  Allow to drain for 30 minutes.
In small saucepan combine rice wine vinegar and sugar.  Heat vinegar and sugar over medium  heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
Stir in ginger.
Put radishes in shallow bowl and pour vinegar mixture over.  Cover with saran wrap and and place in refrigerator until chilled.  Radishes can be chilled up to one day.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment